Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, S. Texas Release Party

With all the hype around Ubuntu's new release 9.10 Karmic Koala, I found myself between a rock and a hard place. Not living in a big suburban area, there was no release party for me to adjoin myself to. Thus, the Mexican way I found myself improvising. May I present to you the S. Texas release party!!

Attendees: una persona


Prerequisites

After unpacking the care package from Mark Shuttleworth as most of you Ubuntu users are doing ATM, I found the contents below.

case badges for rebranding my system, windows key stickers for hiding that un-Godly logo, a pint of ale, smokes to keep me awake for the reformat, and of course an ubuntu usb-key. Thanks Mark, you're a sweetheart.


Somehow there appeared a cron-job on my system to download the minimal install at exactly mid-night October 29th, 2009.


On the informative side...

To schedule your own cron-jobs as an un-privileged user:

From the terminal:

crontab -e

now select your preferred editor by choosing an editor assigned to the correct numeric value

cron is easy setup in the below format:

[minute] [hour] [dayofmonth] [month] [dayofweek] [command]

mine was as follows:

0 0 29 10 4 wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

now close your editor and the job will run according to the parameters you just set


Since this was a cosplay party I decided to go gangsta'.


The Occasion

The format went well. On boot I launched the text based browser w3m and downloaded the crunchbang install script straight out of the UK from crunchbanglinux.org. Thanks corenomial, you're a real life saver.

Karmic is a nice upgrade, to say the least the main pluses I see are the new linux kernel, ext4 as default filesystem, and of course, OMG the framebuffered console.

The guys up at the Isle of Man are doing a great job on this OS. With a 6 month release cycle, bleeding edge technology, and a great community, I can't wait to see what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment