Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Set wallpaper using ImageMagick's display

The list of redundant applications on a system that can accomplish the same task can become quite large at times. For example I was using nitrogen to set my wallpaper when I could also use hsetroot or display. Where these console based applications fail in user friendliness, they excel in robustness when it comes to image manipulation.

Currently I'm using display to set my wallpaper using the following command:

display -size 1280x800 -window root ~/images/wallpapers/kambei.jpg

Now, since ImageMagick is actually an image manipulation program you can apply most any effect you could using gimp or photoshop on the fly from the command line. Your creativity is really the limit.

For more information on display's features, check out their online documentation:

ImageMagick

No comments:

Post a Comment